I have a sewer backup, who do I call?
During regular business hours (Monday through Friday, 8 to 5 p.m.), call the City Offices at 231-924-2101 to report your problem to the Public Works Superintendent. A public works employee will come to your residence to check for backups in the sanitary sewer main by the road. If the City' sanitary sewer main has a blockage the City will clear the path. After business hours call Newaygo County Central Dispatch at 231-689-7022 and they'll contact a city employee to follow up.

If the City employee confirms the City's main line is not blocked, you'll need to call a plumber. Residents are responsible for the sanitary sewer lateral from their home to the City main line, of which is usually located at that center of the street.

For more information, please view the
Sewer Backup Policy.

Show All Answers

1. How do I request new water and sewer service?
2. I have a sewer backup, who do I call?
3. At what physical location is a homeowner responsible for the City’s water and sewer lines?
4. How many employees does the Department of Public Works have?
5. How many miles of streets are in the City of Fremont?
6. Does the City of Fremont have an airport?
7. How much equipment is used during the wintertime?
8. How much salt does the city use each winter?
9. How many water towers does the city have?
10. How many water wells does the City have?
11. Who is your largest water user in the City?
12. Does the City require an employee to have a license to run the water and wastewater department?
13. Where does the city’s wastewater go?
14. When is leaf pick-up?
15. How does the city pick up Brush?
16. Is smoking allowed in City facilities and parks?
17. How do I get rid of my household trash?
18. How do I report a street lighting outage or traffic signal malfunction?
19. What is the City's Parking Ban?